Wednesday 30 November 2011

Only men allowed?

I don't normally get all 'wimmin' about things. And my interest in sport is almost, though not precisely, zero (I do watch some of the Wimbledon matches - tennis is the only sport whose rules I understand). But even I am truly and utterly shocked that the shortlist for the 2011 Sports Personality of the Year award is 100 per cent male. Is there really not one single female sports player whose presence in such a shortlist would be appropriate?

I understand that the process of drawing up this shortlist is left to a group of male sports journalists and, inexplicably, the editors of a couple of 'lads' mags'. It seems to me that, given the reputation of both genres, someone needs to find a better shortlisting method, and pronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers